I am new to this blogging thing at just under two months, but already I gotta confess I LOVE IT! For lots of reasons.
One: It gives me a creative outlet, which I sorely need as a mom. Staying home to raise my son is my priority and I am thankful every moment that the Husband provides this opportunity for me. For us. But while the Sweetey Petey is completely fulfilling, that isn’t to say I don’t miss aspects of my old job. Because I do, I really really do. I miss the people first and foremost. They were, are, my extended family and I miss them. I know this is hard for some to understand, but when you find a job that doubles as family it’s excruciatingly difficult to leave. While my job title wasn’t “Coming Up With Crazy Super Cool Fun New Things,” it did provide for a sense of accomplishment, community assistance and the occasional imaginative idea. So now, instead, you all have me.
Two: I get to poke a little fun at the in-laws. Come on now, who out there doesn’t secretly want to do this? Even just a little?
Good thing my Father-in-law has a thick skin and a great sense of humor because he’s my main comedic trough. I can’t wait to do a post someday on all the things he has brought home from garage sales on his scooter. Like bicycles. And wheelbarrows. Can you picture it? Are you laughing? It would be a full time job just following him around in the summers and snapping photographs. What a coffee table book that would be! Of course I don’t own a coffee table, but the book would be so popular I could afford to buy one.
Three: There are so many amazing bloggers out there and I now GET TO SHARE THEM WITH YOU! In the blog world we call that Blog Love. Or Blog Like if you have commitment issues. Once you get hooked on some fabulous bloggers though, you’ll have no trouble committing and you’ll be in Love just like I am!
Four: You get awards. Or nominated for them. This was brand spanking new to me when a lovely reader and fellow blogger Vesna of Lipstick and Lemondrops nominated me for the Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling. I think it’s like Employee of the Month, but without the parking space. I suppose I would get a virtual parking space. With my name on it. That would be crazy super cool fun.
By the way Vesna likes Footloose and Coldplay so I am already in Blog Love with her.
The gist is this:
1. The nominee should visit the award site (http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/) and leave a comment indicating that they have been nominated and by whom. (This step is so important because it’s the only way our judges will know who is being considered for the monthly presentation).
2. The Nominee should thank the person that nominated them by posting & including a link to their blog.
3. Share one random thing about yourself in your blog post.
4. Select at least five other bloggers that you enjoy reading their stories and nominate them for the award.
5. Notify your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog, including a link to the award site (http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/).
Food Stories will put together a team of judges to review all nominees and to select a Food Stories Award Winner for each month. More information to come on what fabulous opportunities await for those lucky winners!
So I got nominated. Cool. The best part is that I now have an excuse to share the Love, which I have been meaning to do for awhile now. According to the rules, I have to pick five other bloggers.
Here they are, in no particular order. Also, these are not the only bloggers I Love. But as the category is Food Stories, I thought I would share those that fit in best here. I’ll be back another day for the snarky ones, the photography ones, the healthy ones, the unhealthy ones, the mommy ones, the gnome ones (er, one – yup, there is a blogger who talks about gnomes)… I could go on. Yeah, I
Love me a good blog.
1) Sara from Stories and Sweet Potatoes. This is a new blog for me, within the last month even. From what I’ve read so far she is a nice mix of food, story telling, sarcasm and wit – all things I enjoy immensely. I mean, she has a post entitled “Why I Don’t Write Longhand and What You Can Do To Prevent Robot Takeover“. If that doesn’t hook you, how about “How Goats Can Save The US Economy“. I like goats. I’d like them to save the economy. This blog is a no-brainer.
2) Faith from gracefulfitness. I’ve mentioned Faith before because she’s awesome. A mover, a shaker (a little dance humor for ya), a baker and one heck of a fabulous picture taker. She is one of only a handful of people I follow on Twitter who’s instagram photos I will open without a description. I will make her creations without a second thought. If she tells me to jump over a cliff, over I go. Fortunately, I doubt she will. Seriously though, an inspirational read for a complete lifestyle. Also we’ve chatted via e-mail and she’s crazy super cool nice. I really want to live next door to her.
3) Bethany from One Girl’s Taste on Life. Bethany and I were pregnant at the same time and I had e-mailed her a bit during that period. Fortunately, starting my own blog gave me a little street cred and I’ve actually met her in person now! She is great too. What you see on her blog is what you get in real life. She is a healthy living blogger who can also appreciate a good tater tot and she’s a new mommy blogger as well. She has a huge recipes page with lots of good old fashioned home cooking and tons of ideas on preparing meals ahead of time. Come on now, I know you all want to make “Can’t You Hear the Steel Drums Jerk Chicken“.
4) Julie at Peanut Butter Fingers. Julie is a big name blogger and probably doesn’t need me to nominate her for anything, but I really want to share the love. Julie blogs a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot, so good luck keeping up with her. She is definitely one of those bloggers who posts all her eats, which some of you may love and some of you may not. She doesn’t just blog about food though, she shares her life and her adventures so there is constantly a new story unfolding. Wanna live vicariously? Follow Julie and she’ll bring you along. Why do I especially like her though? She eats cheese. And Doritos. And ice cream. And she has a cute dog. She’s healthy but not restrictive. I have a ton of respect for people who follow a strict diet, but I also really enjoy following someone who’s just out there living her life. Oh, and if you are looking for fitness tips, this girl will whip you into shape. I should get on that myself. I will have to ask the Pete for permission first – he keeps me on a pretty tight leash these days.
5) Angharad at Eating for England. This chick is quintessential food stories. Amazing pictures of amazing eats from a completely different cultural perspective. Her latest post on almond butter references backpacking in Australia. Yeah, count me in to read along. You should too. I mean it.
Since I just nominated all these talented bloggers for this award, it occurs to me I don’t stand much of a chance of winning. Oh well, Love involves some sacrifice right? Besides, if I don’t win I shall choose to believe the whole schpeel was just a pyramid scheme anyway. Still, that virtual parking space would have been nice . . .
P.S. When I was a kid I wanted to marry Luke Duke from the Dukes of Hazzard. I even had a fake engagement ring. My sister wanted to marry Bo. How’s that for random?
Question of the Day: Who would be interested in reading a guest post from my Father-in-law? With enough supportive comments I think we could talk him into it! Show your Love!!